1. Unlock your phone - You do not need to open the Google Pay app.
2. Hold the back of your phone close to the payment reader for a few seconds. When you've finished paying, a blue tick will appear on the screen.
3. If prompted, follow the instructions on the screen, some shops use older software that asks for a PIN or signature. If you're asked, follow the steps on the screen.
4. If a PIN is requested, enter the PIN that you set up for your Zip virtual card, this may be the same as the pin you set up for your Zip app.
- Make sure you have Google Pay selected as your default payment method (check settings).
- Make sure you have an NFC-enabled device and NFC is switched on.
- Try holding your phone in a different way. Your NFC antenna could be near the top or bottom of your device.
- Remove any cover you may have on your device.
- Hold your phone closer to the payment reader.
- Hold your phone near the reader for a few extra seconds.
If there is a tick but the retail assistant says the payment didn't go through, double-check that the shop accepts mobile payments.